Vegan Jambalaya – Slow Cooker
Calories 288 (22% from fat)
Fat 7 gram
Saturated Fat 0.6 gram
Trans Fat 0 gram
Cholesterol 0 mg.
Sodium 433 mg.
Carb. 39 gram
Fiber 6.6 gram
Sugar 6 gram
Sugar Alcohol 0 gram
Protein 19 gram
1 Tbsp. olive oil
1 green bell pepper, diced
1 cup celery stalks, diced
2 cups onion, diced
3 garlic cloves (3 tsp.), minced
2 cups tomatoes (or a 14 oz. can), diced
5 cups low sodium vegetable broth
2 Tbsp. paprika
2 Tbsp. cumin, ground
2 tsp. black pepper, ground
1 tsp. dried thyme
1 tsp. dried oregano, ground
1 tsp. cayenne pepper hot sauce (adjust to heat preference)
2 cups long grain brown rice
1 3/4 cups cooked or (1 can 14 oz. low sodium) red kidney beans, drained
2 cups chopped vegan sausage
(We used Field Roast Vegetarian Grain Meat Sausages Italian 12.95 oz. package.)
2-3 scallions, chopped
A vegan jambalaya that cooks up easy and tastes spicy delicious.
Vegan Jambalaya - Slow Cooker
1. Place the first thirteen ingredients, olive oil through hot sauce in a slow cooker and mix together.
2. Cover and cook for 4-5 hours, stirring occasionally.
3. Stir the rice in, cover and increase heat to high. Stir occasionally for an hour to an hour and a half until all the liquid is absorbed. Add more broth if the rice becomes too dry during cooking.
4. Stir in the beans and vegan sausage and let cook for another 2-3 minutes, until they are heated throughout.
5. Serve topped with scallions.
Yield: 8 Servings, about 1.5 cups each
You can freeze individual portions for easy re-heating later.
Microwave for approximately 3-4 minutes. Keep the container open a little to allow steam to escape.