Squash Coconut Curry Soup
Calories 153 (29% from fat)
Fat 4.9 gram
Saturated Fat 3 gram
Trans Fat 0 gram
Cholesterol 4 mg.
Sodium 111 mg.
Carb. 26 gram
Fiber 3.8 gram
Sugar 6.7 gram
Sugar Alcohol 0 gram
Protein 3.6 gram
8 cups butternut squash, chopped
1 Tbsp. unsalted butter
1 1/2 cup onions, chopped
1 1/2 Tbsp. fresh ginger, peeled and minced
1 1/2 Tbsp. garlic, minced
1 Tbsp red or green curry paste
3 cups unsalted chicken stock
1 cup baking potatoes, peeled and chopped
2 tsp. brown sugar,
(We used Splenda Brown Sugar Blend.)
1/2 tsp black pepper, ground
2 Tbsp. fresh lime juice
1 (13-5-ounce) can light coconut milk
1/4 cup cilantro leaves
The squash and coconut milk together make this a full bodied and creamy soup. It goes well with whole wheat or corn bread. For a bigger kick you can add more black pepper when serving.
1. Prepare the butternut squash. Start by cutting off about 1/4 inch off the top (where the stem is) and the bottom. Remove the skin with a sharp vegetable peeler. Cut the squash in half, scoop out the seeds and pulp and then cut into 1-inch cubes.
2. Heat a non-stick pan over medium heat. Then add the butter, onion, ginger, garlic and curry paste. Cook for 7-8 minutes, stirring occasionally until onion is tender.
3. Pour the onion mixture into a 6-quart slow cooker, mix in the cut squash and the next 5 ingredients (chicken stock through black pepper). DO NOT add the lime or coconut milk here! Cover and cook on LOW for 6-8 hours, until squash is tender.
4. When squash mixture is cooked and tender, stir together the lime juice and coconut milk. Put half in a blender and process until smooth. Pour that into a large bowl and repeat with the remaining squash.
5. Divide into 8 servings, about 1 1/4 cup each. If you like cilantro, you can sprinkle it over top as a garnish.
Yield: 8 Servings, about 1 1/4 cups each
You can freeze individual portions for easy re-heating later.
Microwave the soup for approximately 1.5 to 2 minutes, keeping the container open a little to allow steam to escape. Stir when hot and enjoy.