Fried Bologna Sandwich (Vegan)
Calories 496 (27% from fat)
Fat 15 gram
Saturated Fat 6.6 gram
Trans Fat 0 gram
Cholesterol 13 mg.
Sodium 685 mg.
Carb. 72 gram
Fiber 9 gram
Sugar 5.5 gram
Sugar Alcohol 0 gram
Protein 23 gram
2 slices whole wheat bread
buttery cooking spray
4 slices vegan bologna
(We used Tofurky Deli Slices Oven Roasted Original Recipe.)
1 Tbsp. vegan mayonnaise
(We used Follow Your Heart Soy-Free Vegenaise.)
1 Tbsp. spicy brown mustard
1/2 oz. dill chips (About 4 dill chips.)
pinch of black pepper, ground
1/3 cup spinach
I was sent a recipe for a fried bologna sandwich with the challenge... make this vegan. I discovered there are several companies that make vegan bologna, so I tried one made by Tofurky. In the same section of the supermarket I also found a vegan mayonnaise.
After I assembled the first sandwich, I gave it to a friend that loves bacon over everything else. His opinion? He liked it! One of the people who tested it even thought there might be bacon on the sandwich. (There isn't.) Try it. It's really good and you won't miss the meat.
1. Heat a non-stick pan over medium-high heat. While it's heating, put two slices of bread in the toaster and toast them.
2. Once the pan is hot, lightly spray it with buttery cooking spray. Then add 4 slices of the Tofurky bologna and fry them for about a minute on each side, until they turn light brown. (The Tofurky is very thin. Make sure each slice is a single piece and not two.)
3. When the bologna is cooked, remove it from the pan and set it aside.
4. Put a tablespoon of the veganaise on one slice of bread and a tablespoon of the spicy brown mustard on the other slice.
5. Put the bologna on top of the veganaise.
6. Place the dill chips evenly on top of the bologna.
7. Sprinkle a pinch of the ground black pepper over the top of the dill chips.
8. Evenly spread the spinach over top of the dill chips. Put the slice of bread with the mustard on top and cut the sandwich in half. Serve.
Yield: 1 Serving