Monte Cristo Sandwich
Calories 444 (26% from fat)
Fat 13 gram
Saturated Fat 5.5 gram
Trans Fat 0 gram
Cholesterol 103 mg.
Sodium 968 mg.
Carb. 49 gram
Fiber 4.25 gram
Sugar 13 gram
Sugar Alcohol 0 gram
Protein 40 gram
4 Tbsp. honey mustard
8 slices SALT FREE multi-grain bread. (We used Alvarado Street Bakery no salt Sprouted Multi-grain found in the organic foods section of the supermarket.)
8 slices reduced fat swiss cheese - .75 oz. per slice
(We used Sargento Deli Style Reduced Fat swiss.)
12 slices smoked ham - approx. 1.5 oz. per slice
(We used Oscar Mayer Smoked Ham 96% Fat Free.)
1/4 Cup soy milk
(We used Edensoy Vanilla.)
3 large egg whites
1 large whole egg
4 Tbsp. seedless Sugar Free raspberry jam
(We used Smuckers Sugar Free Raspberry Jam.)
2 tsp. powdered sugar
Fat-free cooking spray
1. Spread 1/2 Tbsp. honey mustard on each slice of bread.
2. Place 3 slices of ham on each of 4 bread slices. Place 2 slices of swiss cheese on top of the ham. Top the 4 slices of bread that have ham and cheese with the remaining 4 slices of bread, putting the honey mustard side down.
3. Mix milk and eggs in a shallow dish. Dip both sides of each sandwich into egg/milk mixture.
4. Heat a large nonstick pan over medium heat and coat with fat-free cooking spray. Cook sandwiches for 3 to 4 minutes on each side or until lightly browned. For best results, place lid on top of pan to fully melt cheese while cooking.
5. Spread 1 Tbsp. seedless raspberry jam on top of each sandwich and sprinkle with 1/2 tsp. powdered sugar.
FREEZER NOTE: Do not put the raspberry jam or powdered sugar on top of the sandwiches if you intend to freeze them. Only put it on after you have re-heated them in a microwave and they are ready to eat.
Yield: 4 Servings
Freeze each sandwich in individual containers.
Re-heat the sandwiches for approximately 4.5 minute in the microwave.
After you re-heat them, THEN put on the raspberry jam and powdered sugar.