Satsuma Turkey - Sweet and Spicy
Calories 473 (29% from fat)
Fat 15 gram
Saturated Fat 4.6 gram
Trans Fat 0 gram
Cholesterol 159 mg.
Sodium 1034 mg.
Carb. 26 gram
Fiber 2.4 gram
Sugar 13 gram
Sugar Alcohol 0 gram
Protein 54 gram
3 cups red onion, chopped
3/4 cup riesling or sweet white wine
2/3 cup fresh orange juice
1/3 cup sugar free orange marmalade
2 tsp. tamarind
1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper
3 3/4 pounds bone-in turkey thighs, skinned
2 tsp. five-spice powder
1 tsp. salt
1 Tbsp. canola oil
2 cups fresh mandarin orange sections (About 7 mandarin oranges.)
1 1/2 Tbsp. cornstarch
1/2 cup green onions, chopped
The original version of this recipe appeared on MyRecipes.com. We took out some of the sugar while keeping all the sweet and spicy taste
This recipe is higher in sodium. If you're on a low sodium diet, you should consider another option.
1. Combine the first six ingredients, onion, wine, orange juice, orange marmalade, tamarind spice and red pepper, in a 5-quart slow cooker.
2. Remove the skin. Then rinse the turkey in cold water and pat dry.
3. Sprinkle the five-spice powder and salt over the turkey.
4. Heat a large nonstick pan over medium-high heat. Add the oil to the pan.
5. Cook the turkey in the pan for 3-4 minutes per side, until browned.
6. Place the turkey in a single layer over the onion mixture in the slow cooker. They can overlap if there's not enough room.
7. Place the mandarin orange sections over the top.
8. Cover and cook on LOW for 4 hours.
9. If you want to serve it over rice, start preparing to be ready when the turkey is cooked.
10. Take the turkey out of the slow cooker and put it on a platter. Remove the bones and discard. Arrange the meat on the platter.
11. Pour the liquid and onion sauce into a medium saucepan.
12. Take out 1/4 cup of the cooking liquid and put it in a small bowl. Whisk the cornstarch into the small bowl until smooth. Once thoroughly combined, pour it back into the medium saucepan.
13. Bring the sauce to a boil, constantly stirring until sauce thickens.
14. Pour the sauce over the turkey and sprinkle the green onions over the top.
15. Divide into 8 servings and put it over rice or with bread on the side.
Yield: 8 Servings of about 5 ounces Turkey and 1/2 cup of Sauce Per Serving
You can freeze individual portions for easy re-heating later.
Microwave on high for approximately 3 1/2 to 4 1/2 minutes. Keep the container open a little to allow steam to escape.