Orange Chicken and Rice - Slow Cooker
Calories 503 (10% from fat)
Fat 5.7 gram
Saturated Fat 0.6 gram
Trans Fat 0 gram
Cholesterol 115 mg.
Sodium 627 mg.
Carb. 64 gram
Fiber 8 gram
Sugar 5 gram
Sugar Alcohol 0 gram
Protein 53 gram
3.5 pounds of boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into bite sized pieces
6 Tbsp. whole wheat flour
2 large red or green bell peppers, chopped
1 1/2 cups carrots, cut in half and sliced
2 cups onion, chopped
2/3 cup Smuckers Sugar Free Orange Marmalade
2/3 cup Sugar Free BBQ Sauce
(We used G. Hughes Smokehouse Sugar Free BBQ Sauce Honey Flavored.)
4 Tbsp. reduced sodium soy sauce
2 Tbsp. ginger paste
2 Tbsp. corn starch
1/4 cup water
8 cups brown rice
(We used Uncle Ben's Ready Rice Whole Grain Brown that you cook in the microwave.)
Chicken and vegetables with sweet orange flavoring over rice. The key thing about this recipe is that it's much lower in sugar than the traditional versions. Easy to make, tasty and filling.
1. Put the chicken in a bowl and sprinkle the flour over top, one tablespoon at a time, mixing it in. Continue until the chicken is thoroughly coated with flour then put the chicken in the crock pot.
2. Chop the bell peppers, carrots and onions, then pour them over top the chicken in the crock pot.
3. Whisk together the orange marmalade, BBQ sauce, soy sauce and ginger paste. Pour the mixture over top the vegetables and chicken in the crock pot and mix it all together.
4. Cover and cook on HIGH for 3-4 hours or on LOW for 6-8 hours. Halfway through the cooking, take the cover off and stir everything together, then put the cover back on and continue cooking.
5. 15 Minutes before it's finished, take 2 tablespoons of corn starch and put it in a small bowl, with 1/4 cup of cold water. Mix the corn starch and water together, then pour it over the ingredients in the crock pot. Stir until it's thoroughly combined. This will make the sauce thicken up.
6. A few minutes before the crock pot is finished, prepare the brown rice according to package directions. We like using Uncle Ben's ready rice because you can heat each packet up in a microwave in 90 seconds.
7. To serve, put one cup rice on a plate, topped with about 1 1/3 cups of the orange chicken on top.
Yield: 8 Servings
You can freeze individual portions for easy re-heating later.
Microwave on high for approximately 3 - 4 minutes. Keep the container open a little to allow steam to escape.