Chicken Zucchini Casserole
Calories 313 (24% from fat)
Fat 8 gram
Saturated Fat 1.8 gram
Trans Fat 0 gram
Cholesterol 48 mg.
Sodium 780 mg.
Carb. 35 gram
Fiber 2 gram
Sugar 5 gram
Sugar Alcohol 0 gram
Protein 24 gram
buttery cooking spray
1 pound chicken breast, cooked and cubed
1 cup onion, chopped
3 cups diced zucchini
1/2 cup carrots, shredded
1 package (6 oz.) stuffing mix
(We used Stove Top Lower Sodium Stuffing Mix for Chicken.)
1/2 cup reduced fat butter
(We used Smart Balance Light Butter & Non-GMO Canola Oil.)
1 can (10 1/2 oz.) reduced fat condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted
(We used Campbell's Condensed 98% Fat-Free Cream of Chicken Soup.)
3/4 cup fat free sour cream
Taste of Home had a version of this recipe and it was delicious. It also had 480 calories per serving and over half the calories came from fat. By making a few tweaks we kept the flavor and the same serving size, but cut the calories by a third. This casserole is on my list of favorite comfort meals.
This recipe is a little higher in sodium. If you're on a low sodium diet, you should consider another option.
1. Heat a non-stick frying pan over medium-high heat. One it’s hot, lightly coat with buttery cooking spray. Then add the chicken breasts and cook until browned, about 4-5 minutes per side. Once browned, set aside.
2. While the chicken is cooking, chop up the onion. When the chicken is finished, lightly coat the pan again with buttery spray and add the onion. Saute the onion for approximately 5 minutes, until tender.
3. Chop the zucchini and carrots. Then cut the chicken up into cubes.
4. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
5. Pour the stuffing mix into a large mixing bowl. Heat the butter until it’s a liquid, about 20-35 seconds in the microwave. Pour the butter over the stuffing mix and stir until it’s thoroughly combined. TAKE OUT 1/2 a CUP of the stuffing mix for a topping and set aside.
6. Mix together all the ingredients in the bowl EXCEPT the stuffing mix you set aside. Then pour the mixture into an 11x7 inch baking dish that’s been lightly coated with buttery cooking spray. Sprinkle the reserved stuffing over the top.
7. Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 40 to 45 minutes, or until the top is a golden brown and the mixture is bubbling.
Yield: 6 Servings
You can freeze individual portions for easy re-heating later.
Microwave for approximately 3-5 minutes, keeping the container open a little to allow steam to escape.