Crustless Pizza Pasta - Crock Pot (Slow Cooker)
Calories 445 (29% from fat)
Fat 14 gram
Saturated Fat 5.6 gram
Trans Fat 0 gram
Cholesterol 90 mg.
Sodium 753 mg.
Carb. 40 gram
Fiber 6 gram
Sugar 5 gram
Sugar Alcohol 0 gram
Protein 43 gram
1 box (13.25 oz.) whole wheat penne rigate or rigatoni pasta
(We used Ronzoni Healthy Harvest Penne Rigate.)
1 green bell pepper (1 cup), chopped
2 onions (2 cups), chopped
2 1/2 pounds 95% lean ground beef
4 cloves (4 tsp.) garlic, minced
1 package (9 oz.) Morning Star Farms Vegetarian Italian Sausage, sliced
2 cups (8 oz.) low-fat mozzarella cheese
2 cups (8 oz.) fat free mozzarella cheese
1 can (18.5 oz.) reduced sodium tomato soup
(We used Progresso Reduced Sodium Tomato Parmesan.)
1 jar (24 oz.) pasta sauce
(We used Classico Four Cheese pasta sauce.)
red pepper flakes (to taste)
low-fat parmesan cheese, grated
1. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Stir the pasta in, bring back to a boil and then reduce heat to medium. Cook for 8-10 minutes or until al dente (firm). Drain and set aside.
2. Warm a large non-stick pan over medium-high heat. Mix together the bell pepper, onions and ground beef and cook it until it's browned, then drain the excess oil. Mix the minced garlic in and set aside.
3. Heat the Morning Star Farms sausage in a microwave as directed on the package. Then slice them up and set aside.
4. Split all the ingredients in half to make two layers in a 5-6 quart crock pot. Start with ground beef on the bottom, followed by pasta, both cheeses mixed together, soup, pasta sauce and sausage. Then repeat the same layers with remaining ingredients.
5. Cook on low for 4 hours. To spice things up, serve it with red pepper flakes and grated parmesan cheese to be sprinkled on top - according to taste.
Yield: 12 Servings
You can freeze individual portions for easy re-heating later.
Microwave for approximately 3-5 minutes, keeping the container open a little to allow steam to escape.