Chicken Cordon Bleu
Calories 527 (27% from fat)
Fat 16 gram
Saturated Fat 6.3 gram
Trans Fat 0 gram
Cholesterol 148 mg.
Sodium 580 mg.
Carb. 29 gram
Fiber 1.3 gram
Sugar 1.8 gram
Sugar Alcohol 0 gram
Protein 64 gram
1/3 cup whole wheat flour
2 tsp. salt substitute
(We used No Salt Sodium Free Salt.)
1 tsp. thyme, ground
4 large egg whites
1 cup panko crispy bread crumbs, plain
2 Tbsp. garlic, minced
2 Tbsp. chives, chopped
2 tsp. salt substitute
1/2 tsp. black pepper
fat free buttery cooking spray
1 1/2 lbs. chicken breast, boneless, skinless, pounded thin to 1/4 of an inch
8 ultra thin slices of ham
(We used Hillshire Farm Deli Select Ultra Thin.)
6 slices reduced fat swiss cheese
1/2 cup (3.8 oz.) gruyere cheese, shredded
1. Take out 3 mixing bowls. In the first bowl, whisk together the flour, salt substitute, thyme. Put egg whites in the second bowl. In the third bowl, mix together the panko bread crumbs, minced garlic, chives, salt substitute and black pepper.
2. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Lightly spray the fat free cooking spray on a baking sheet. Set the sheet aside.
3. Take 2 large chicken breasts and slice them LENGTHWISE, so they are the same width and length, just half as thick. Put down a sheet of wax or parchment paper, place the chicken breasts on top, then put another piece of wax or parchment paper on top of the breasts. Some people suggest using the flat side of a meat mallet to pound the chicken flatter. It's easier to use a frying pan to pound them down. You have greater surface area and they come out more uniform. Pound them until they're 1/4 of an inch thick.
4. Put 2 slices of thin sliced ham on top of each breast. Then put 1-1/2 slices of Swiss cheese on top of the ham.
5. Roll the chicken up with the cheese inside. If you want, you can use a toothpick to hold the chicken together. Then roll the chicken in the bowls. Start with the flour (coating it thoroughly), then dunk in the egg whites and finish by thoroughly coating in the bowl with the panko bread crumbs.
6. Place the chicken on the baking sheet and sprinkle 2 tablespoons shredded gruyere cheese on top of each chicken. Lightly spray each one with the fat free cooking spray (so they brown.) Bake for 20-25 minutes, until they're browned and the chicken is cooked through. Serve with a side of cranberry sauce for a nice flavor contrast.
Yield: 4 Servings
You can freeze individual portions for easy re-heating later.
Make sure to freeze them in freezer safe containers.
Microwave for approximately 2 1/2 - 3 1/2 minutes. The cheese can burn into plastic containers damaging them, so you should reheat this on a regular plate.