Turkey Pot Pie
Calories 413 (28% from fat)
Fat 13 gram
Saturated Fat 1.9 gram
Trans Fat 0 gram
Cholesterol 99 mg.
Sodium 533 mg.
Carb. 32 gram
Fiber 6 gram
Sugar 8 gram
Sugar Alcohol 0 gram
Protein 43 gram
15 baby carrots chopped
(About 1 cup.)
1 cup frozen chopped onions
8 oz (227g) of sliced mushrooms
(One container or approximately 3 cups.)
1 can (14 oz.) quartered artichoke hearts (drained)
1 can (15 oz.) sweet peas (no salt added) (drained)
1 can (14.5 oz) diced tomatoes (no salt added)
1 clove garlic (1/2 tsp.) minced
1 Tbsp. dill weed
1 Tbsp. basil
1/2 tsp. pepper
1 tsp. curry powder
1/4 cup and 2 Tbsp. olive oil
3/4 cup whole wheat flour
1 tsp. ground mustard
1 can (14 oz.) chicken broth (low sodium and fat free)
2 pounds skinless, boneless turkey breast
(Skinless, boneless chicken breast can also be used.)
1/4 cup fat-free sour cream
1/2 cup corn meal
(We used Quaker Yellow Corn Meal because it had no sodium.)
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 cup soy milk (or 1 individual 250 mL carton)
1 Tbsp. Splenda Granular (Measures cup for cup like sugar.)
Non-fat butter cooking spray
1. Chop the carrots up and put them into a bowl with the onions, mushrooms, artichoke hearts (drained), sweet peas (drained), diced tomatoes, garlic, dill, basil, pepper and curry powder.
2. Dice the turkey and set aside in seperate bowl.
3. Pour 1/4 cup of olive oil in stew pot on the stove with heat set on low. Using a whisk stir in 1/4 cup flour and ground mustard for 2 minutes.
4. Add chicken broth, whisking to avoid lumps. Raise heat to medium high and bring to a boil. Add the vegetables from step 1 to the stew pot. Reduce heat to low, cover and cook for 10 - 12 minutes, stirring pot occassionally.
WHILE BROTH AND VEGETABLES ARE SIMMERING... do step five.
5. In a seperate non-stick cooking pan, spray fat-free cooking spay and turn on medium heat. Add diced turkey and cook for approximately 10 - 12 minutes.
6. Combine the turkey with the broth and vegetables, then stir in sour cream. Pour the entire pot into a 9 x 13 inch baking dish and set aside.
7. Preheat over to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
8. Mix together in a seperate bowl the corn meal, the remaining 1/2 cup flour and baking powder. Whisk in the soy milk, the remaining 2 Tbsp. olive oil and the Splenda.
9. Pour the batter over the turkey and vegetable mixture in the baking dish. This will form the crust. Bake for 40 minutes or until lightly browned. When finished remove from the oven and let cool for 10 minutes, then divide into 8 servings and eat.
Yield: 8 Servings
Freeze individual portions for easy re-heating later.
Re-heat each serving for approximately 4 minutes in the microwave on high. Then take it out, stir it and microwave for an additional 3-4 minutes.
Make sure to crack open the top of the container before you start to let hot air escape.