Cornbread Open-face Omelets
Nutritional breakdown does NOT include optional toppings.
Calories 473 (31% from fat)
Fat 16 gram
Saturated Fat 7 gram
Trans Fat 0 gram
Cholesterol 22 mg.
Sodium 1294 mg.
Carb. 54 gram
Fiber 7 gram
Sugar 4.5 gram
Sugar Alcohol 0 gram
Protein 26 gram
2 Beyond Sausage Hot Italian Sausages (About 7 oz. of sausage.), casings removed
1 Tbsp. light butter
3 green onions, chopped
1 red bell pepper, chopped
2 jalapeno peppers, minced
1 1/4 cup self-rising white cornmeal mix
1/4 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup light buttermilk
3/4 cup fat-free milk
2 large egg whites, lightly beaten
buttery cooking spray
1 cup (4 oz.) reduced-fat Mexican cheese blend, shredded
jam or jelly spread
We've been exploring recipes with meat alternatives and came across a cornbread omelet. We made this tasty morning dish that can be "enhanced" for either the spice or sweet lover with a few modifications.
1. Heat a non-stick 8-inch frying pan over medium heat. Once it's hot, add the sausage.
2. Chop the sausage up with a wooden spoon or spatula while stirring and cooking. Keep stirring until the sausage is browned, about 6-7 minutes. Pour sausage crumbles into a small mixing bowl when finished.
3. Wipe out the frying pan. Add the butter, onions, bell pepper and jalapenos.
4. Cook over medium-high heat for 3-5 minutes, stirring occasionally until tender. Then pour it into the mixing bowl with the sausage crumbles.
5. Whisk together the cornmeal, whole wheat flour, buttermilk and fat-free milk. The batter should be just a little runny. Add a tablespoon or two of milk if it's too stiff.
6. Heat the 8-inch frying pan over medium-high heat. Lightly coat pan with buttery cooking spray. Pour about 1/2 a cup of the cornbread batter into the pan, making sure it spreads out evenly.
7. The cornbread should cook until almost set, and bubbles form. This will take about 1 minute and 30 seconds. Once it's set, gently flip with a spatula.
8. Sprinkle about 1/2 a heaping cup of the sausage mixture over top the omelet and 1/4 cup of the cheese on top of that. Cook for another 30 seconds or so until cheese melts. You can also put a lid over the pan for this stage to speed up the cheese melting.
9. Repeat steps 6,7 and 8 three more times. Serve each omelet immediately.
Drizzle hot sauce or Sriracha over the top for a spicy finish.
1. Instead of adding the sausage and cheese toppings when you finish off the cornbread, you simply make sure it's cooked like a pancake.
2. Put it on a plate and spread the jam of your choice over the cornbread; THEN add the sausage and cheese toppings.
3. Finish it off by heating it in the oven under the broiler or a microwave for 30 seconds.
Yield: 4 Servings