Pancake Sausage and Apple Casserole
Calories 264 (32% from fat)
Fat 9 gram
Saturated Fat 2.5 gram
Trans Fat 0 gram
Cholesterol 25 mg.
Sodium 573 mg.
Carb. 32 gram
Fiber 4.5 gram
Sugar 10 gram
Sugar Alcohol 4 gram
Protein 18 gram
buttery cooking spray
1 pound vegetarian sausage, chopped
(We used Beyond Meat Beyond Sausage Hot Italian.)
2 cups protein pancake mix
(We used Kodiak Cakes Cinnamon Oat Power Cakes Flapjakck & Waffle Mix.)
1 1/3 cups fat free milk
(We used fairlife Fat Free Ultra-Filtered Milk.)
1 large whole egg
2 large egg whites
2 Tbsp. canola or vegetable oil
2 medium apples, thinly sliced
2 Tbsp. cinnamon sugar
(We mixed 5 tsp. Splenda with 1 tsp. ground cinnamon.)
2 1/2 cups sugar free syrup
(We used Cary's sugar Free Low Calorie Syrup.)
This is a weekend treat that we've taken out half the sugar and fat while doubling the protein. This is a variation on one we made with cheese, for people who like it sweeter. You can freeze individual servings and heat them up for a filling breakfast in under five minutes.
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Heat a large non-stick pan over medium-high heat. Once the pan is hot, lightly coat with buttery cooking spray.
3. Add the sausage and cook, occasionally stirring, about 6 minutes until lightly browned.
4. While the sausage is cooking, in a large bowl, mix the pancake mix, milk, egg, egg whites and oil.
5. When the sausage is done, pour it into the pancake mix and combine.
6. Lightly coat a 13x9 baking dish with buttery cooking spray. Pour the pancake and sausage mixture into the pan and even it out.
7. Cut the apples into thin slices, removing the core. (We like the apples a little thicker, so we cut them thicker.)
8. Spread the apples over the top of the pancake and sausage mix.
9. Mix together 1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon and 5 teaspoons of Splenda or stevia. Then sprinkle this “cinnamon sugar” evenly across the top of the pancake and sausage mix.
10. Bake until it’s set, about 35-45 minutes. Then divide into 10 servings.
11. Put 1/4 cup sugar-free pancake syrup on top of each serving.
Yield: 10 Servings
You can freeze individual servings for easy re-heating later.
Put a damp cloth over the top before you reheat it. Then reheat for 2 to 2.5 minutes in a microwave on high.
When it's spongy and warm to the touch, add the syrup and enjoy.