Southwestern Breakfast Casserole - Slow Cooker
(Nutritional info does not include pico de gallo or salsa.)
Calories 311 (17% from fat)
Fat 6 gram
Saturated Fat 0.8 gram
Trans Fat 0 gram
Cholesterol 95 mg.
Sodium 796 mg.
Carb. 36 gram
Fiber 6 gram
Sugar 7 gram
Sugar Alcohol 0 gram
Protein 28 gram
4 large whole eggs
8 large egg whites
1 1/3 cups fat free milk
3 tsp. chili powder
1/2 tsp. cumin, ground
1/2 tsp. black pepper, ground
1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper
1 can (15.5 oz.) reduced sodium black beans, rinsed and drained
1 can (11 oz.) Mexicorn, drained
1 cup vegan sausage, chopped
(We used 9.31 oz. package of Field Roast Vegan Breakfast Sausage Apple Maple.)
1 cup fat free cheddar cheese, shredded
1 can (4 oz.) chopped green chiles
6 slices whole wheat bread, lightly toasted and cubed
OPTIONAL (But Highly Recommended)
1 or 2 Tbsp. pico de gallo or salsa on top of each serving
You can mix everything up the night before, EXCEPT the bread. Cover and keep it in the refrigerator. Early in the morning, stir the bread in, cover and cook. It's perfect for Sunday brunch.
This recipe is higher in sodium. If you're on a reduced sodium diet, you should consider another option.
1. In a large bowl, whisk together the first seven ingredients, eggs through cayenne pepper.
2. Stir in the next five ingredients, black beans through green chiles. Then fold in the bread until it's thoroughly moistened and mixed together.
3. Coat a 5 quart slow-cooker with buttery cooking spray. Pour all the ingredients in the slow cooker, cover and cook on low for 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 hours, until a knife inserted into the center comes out clean.
4. When finished, remove cover and let stand for 10 minutes before cutting and serving.
5. OPTIONAL: Put a tablespoon or two of pico de gallo or salsa on the top if you want.
Yield: 8 Servings
You can freeze individual servings for easy re-heating later. Make sure they're tightly sealed inside freezer safe containers.
Microwave each serving for approximately 3.5 - 4 minutes and enjoy.