Sausage, Red Pepper & Grits Casserole
Calories 277 (17% from fat)
Fat 5 gram
Saturated Fat 2 gram
Trans Fat 0 gram
Chol. 46 mg.
Sodium 723 mg.
Carb. 30 gram
Fiber 2 gram
Sugar 5.25 gram
Sugar Alcohol 0 gram
Protein 25 gram
1/2 pound of turkey sausage
(We used Louis Rich Original Turkey Sausage.)
1-1/2 cups fat-free milk
1-1/2 cups water
3/4 cup quick-cooking grits
(We used Quaker Quick Grits because it has no sodium.)
1 cup shredded fat-free cheddar cheese (approx. 4 oz.)
3 Tbsp. minced fresh parsley (Freeze-dried parsley works fine here.)
1/4 tsp. garlic powder
1/8 tsp. black pepper
Dash of ground red pepper
1 large red bell pepper diced
3 egg whites
Fat-free vegetable cooking spray
1. Cook the sausage in a nonstick pan over medium-high heat until browned. Keep stirring to crumble. When brown, drain and set aside.
2. Combine milk and water in a saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Stir in grits. Cover, reduce heat and simmer for 7 minutes or until thickened. Stir frequently.
3. Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees.
4. Pour in sausage, cheese, parsley, garlic, black pepper, red pepper and red bell pepper with grits mixture. Stir.
5. Beat egg whites (at room temperature) with high speed mixer or whisk until stiff peaks form. Gently fold egg whites into grits mixture.
6. Spoon entire grits mixture into a 1-1/2 quart casserole pan coated with fat-free cooking spray. Bake at 375 degrees for 25 to 30 minutes, or until set and lightly browned.
Yield: 4 Servings
Freeze individual portions for easy re-heating later.