Shrimp and Cheddar Grits
Calories 311 (35% from fat)
Fat 12 gram
Saturated Fat 5 gram
Trans Fat 0 gram
Chol. 149 mg.
Sodium 568 mg.
Carb. 24 gram
Fiber 2 gram
Sugar 1.4 gram
Sugar Alcohol 0 gram
Protein 27 gram
1 cup uncooked stone-ground grits
(Not the fast cooking or one-minute grits.)
1 clove (1 tsp.) garlic, minced
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
4 cups water
1/4 cup lowfat butter
1 cup lowfat cheddar cheese, shredded
1 cup regular cheddar cheese, shredded
1 1/4 pound peeled and deveined cooked shrimp
2 medium tomatoes, seeded and finely chopped
2 Tbsp. fresh parsley, chopped
4 tsp. lemon juice
3 tsp. Cajun seasoning
4 green onions, finely chopped
Cheesy, creamy and tasty for an appetizer or an entree.
1. Place the grits, garlic, salt, pepper and water in a 3-quart slow cooker. Stir to combine.
2. Cover and cook on high until water is absorbed and grits are tender, 2 1/2 to 3 hours. Stir the pot every 45 minutes.
3. Once the water is absorbed and the grits are tender, stir in the butter and the cheese until melted.
4. Stir in the remaining ingredients (except green onions) and cook, covered on high until heated through, 15 to 30 minutes.
5. Sprinkle the green onions over the top and divide into 7 servings of 1 cup each.
Yield: Approximately 7 Servings of 1 Cup Each