German Cucumber Salad
Calories 83 (5% from fat)
Fat 0.5 gram
Saturated Fat 0 gram
Trans Fat 0 gram
Cholesterol 0 mg.
Sodium 336 mg.
Carb 18 gram
Fiber 2.5 gram
Sugar 7 gram
Sugar Alcohol 0 gram
Protein 3 gram
3 cups cucumbers, with skin removed and sliced very thin (That's about 2 large cucumbers or 4 ounces per cup.)
1 tsp. salt
1 cup onion, thinly sliced into rings
1 cup tomato, chopped
1/2 cup fat-free sour cream
2 Tbsp. white vinegar
1 Tbsp. chives, minced
1/2 tsp. dill
1/4 tsp. black pepper, ground
2 tsp. Splenda or stevia no calorie sweetener
2 - 4 cups butterhead lettuce leaves, shredded
This was something my friend used to eat when he grew up in Germany. It's tangy, sweet and full of good stuff.
1. Peel the cucumbers, then slice them very thin. Put them in a bowl and mix the salt in. Cover and refrigerate for 3 hours.
2. Cut up the onion and tomatoes, put them in a bowl, cover and refrigerate.
3. In a small bowl, mix together the next six ingredients, sour cream, vinegar, chives, dill, pepper and Splenda or stevia. Cover and put in the refrigerator.
4. After 3 hours, take the cucumbers out, put them in a strainer and rinse. Pat gently to dry and set aside.
5. When you're ready to serve, line the bottom of four salad bowls with the lettuce leaves. Put 1/2 to 1 cup per bowl.
6. Fold together all the remaining ingredients in a mixing bowl, cucumbers, onion, tomatoes and the sour cream mixture. I use a spatula to make it easier. Then divide the cucumber salad between the four bowls, placing it on top of the lettuce leaves. Serve immediately.
Yield: 4 Servings