Watermelon Cake with Low-Sugar Frosting
Calories 263 (27% from fat)
Fat 8 gram
Saturated Fat 4 gram
Trans Fat 0 gram
Cholesterol 20 mg.
Sodium 191 mg.
Carb. 46 gram
Fiber 3 gram
Sugar 33 gram
Sugar Alcohol 5.6 gram
Protein 9 gram
1 seedless watermelon (21 pounds whole) 12 pounds or 192 oz. skinned
2 containers (8 oz. each) light cream cheese
2 cups Splenda
(We used the box that measures cup for cup like sugar.)
4 Tbsp. sugar free honey
(We Used Honey Tree Sugar Free Imitation Honey.)
2 tsp. vanilla extract
0-2 Tbsp fat free milk to thin frosting if required
1/4 cup sliced almonds
1 cup blueberries
2 cups raspberries
As listed, this recipe is high in sugar, but remember each serving is quite large. Most people would be happy with half a serving. For the cake pictured, we started with a 21 pound watermelon and after trimming it weighed 12 pounds. If you start with a much smaller watermelon, say 10 pounds and cut it down to 6 pounds, you can cut the frosting ingredients in half. Then keep the serving amount the same (12 slices) but each slice will have half the calories and sugar listed. Most of the sugar in this recipe comes from the watermelon.
Another way to make this cake is cut the watermelon so it's in sheets and divide it into individual servings like a brownie. Then put them all in a pan and cover with frosting. You don't have to worry about the frosting falling down and it's much easier to serve.
1. Cut the top and bottom of your watermelon off, to make a flat base and top. Then trim the skin around the edge so you end up with a watermelon the shape of a cake.
2. Pat the watermelon with strong paper towels or a clean cloth to dry. Avoid anything that may fall apart when it gets wet.
3. Combine the frosting ingredients in a bowl with a blender for about 90 seconds, until thoroughly combined.
4. Spread the frosting on the watermelon like a traditional cake and place in the refrigerator for an hour to set up. Once the frosting is set, do any touch-ups to the frosting as needed and decorate by placing the almonds on the sides and additional fruit on the top.
5. Store in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
Yield: 12 Servings