Bacon, Cheese & Egg Bake
Calories 477 (28% from fat)
Fat 15 gram
Saturated Fat 3.7 gram
Trans Fat 0 gram
Chol. 194 mg.
Sodium 1217 mg.
Carb. 56 gram
Fiber 15 gram
Sugar 11 gram
Sugar Alcohol 0 gram
Protein 32 gram
olive oil spray
16 slices of double fiber whole wheat bread, chopped into 1 inch cubes
(We used Nature's Own Double Fiber Wheat Bread.)
1 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
2 cups onion, chopped
2 cans (14.5 oz. each) no salt added diced tomatoes
1/2 tsp crushed red pepper
16 vegetarian bacon strips
(We used Morningstar Farms Vegetarian Meals: Bacon Strips.)
2 cups fat free cheddar cheese, shredded
(Extra Sharp if available.)
2 cups fat free mozzarella cheese, shredded
2 Tbsp. snipped chives
1 3/4 cups water
4 packets (.15 oz each) Herb ox Sodium Free Chicken Bouillon
8 large whole eggs
hot sauce for serving
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Lightly coat a 9 x 13 inch glass baking dish with olive oil spray. Spread the bread crumbs across the bottom of the baking dish and lightly mist each layer with olive oil spray. Continue layering and spraying until the dish is filled.
2. Bake the bread for 20 minutes. Halfway through, take the dish out and stir the bread. When finished the bread on top should have a golden coating and be just a little crisp.
3. Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Once it's hot, add 1 tablespoon of olive oil, then the onions. Saute the onions for about 5 minutes, then add the drained tomatoes and crushed red pepper. Cook until most of the liquid is gone, about 5 more minutes, then set aside.
4. Heat up the vegetarian bacon strips in the microwave according to package instructions. Once they're cooked, let them cool down and break them or cut them into small pieces.
5. Take the toasted bread out of the oven and put it in a large mixing bowl. Pour the onion mixture from the skillet over the top and mix it all together. Then stir in the bacon, cheeses and chives.
6. Whisk together the water and Herb Ox Sodium Free Chicken Boullion. Then pour it over top the bread and mix it all together. Once it's thoroughly combined, spread it evenly out in the baking dish, cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes.
7. After 30 minutes, take the foil off and let bake another 15 minutes to get the top crispy. Take out of the oven and use a ladel to press 8 indentations into the top. Crack a whole egg into each indentation, put the dish back in the oven and bake for a final 15 minutes. The egg white should be set but the yolk runny.
8. Serve with hot sauce on the side.
Yield: 8 Servings